Our Gastroenterology Department provide the following services:
There is a JAG accredited endoscopy unit at Warrington Hospital providing over 10,000 procedures per year. It is a busy but friendly, very well organized, and efficient department. The unit provides a comprehensive range of diagnostic/therapeutic upper and lower GI endoscopies, Bronchoscopy as well as ERCP.
The endoscopy unit offers an excellent endoscopy training program and regularly receives very positive feedback from both medical and surgical trainees.
A second endoscopy unit is situated on the Halton site, this NEW unit (re-opened in Feb 2015) offers a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic upper and lower GI Endoscopy and Flexible Cystoscopies.
Inpatient care is provided on a dedicated 21 bedded Gastroenterology ward (C22) with two consultant led teams at a time each comprising a F1, F2/CMT and an SPR.
A consultant led ward round is carried out every morning, supported by a very highly motivated, dedicated and experienced ward nursing team.
There is a comprehensive out of hours endoscopy on-call service provided by the Gastroenterology consultants. In addition, there is a daily consultant delivered inpatient endoscopy list to provide timely endoscopy for GI bleeds and other urgent GI conditions.
A total of 18 Gastroenterology clinics per week are provided for gastroenterology and Haematology patients. There are clinics with subspecialty interest including viral Hepatitis C and inflammatory bowel diseases. The department has recently won a bid to acquire a fibroscan machine to improve the management of patients with liver diseases within the Warrington and Halton catchments.
There are regular radiology, histology and IBD MDT meetings. These meetings provide useful experience in managing complex conditions with multidisciplinary involvement.
- Dr W C Tan - Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist
- Dr S Ramakrishnan - Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist
- Dr S Bharathi - Lead Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr O Patani - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Dr B Manjunatha - Consultant Gastroenterologist
- Jan Dougherty - IBD Specialist Nurse
- Pauline Kua - Hepatology Specialist Nurse
- Tom Liversedge - Divisional Manager
- Carol McEvoy - Ward Manager (C22)
- Karen Smith - Endoscopy Unit Manager
Our outpatient gastroenterology clinics are led by one of the consultant team. These clinics are held on:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, both AM and PM and Friday AM at Warrington Hospital
- Wednesday and Friday, both AM and PM, at Halton Hospital
Fast Track Clinics
The Fast Track clinics are available for urgent access to the GPs for Gastroenterology conditions including suspected cancers and can be booked via the Bed Bureau clerks at Warrington. These clinics will be covered by any one of the consultant team. These clinics are held on:
- Monday AM, Tuesday AM and PM and Friday AM, at Warrington Hospital
Referrals into the Gastroenterology Department can be made via Choose and Book or a referral letter to the consultant.
For consultant queries please contact the appropriate secretary on the following contact numbers:
- Dr Tan - 01925 662762
- Dr Ramakrishnan and Dr Patani - 01925 662411
- Dr Bharathi and Dr Manjunatha - 01925 664215