Applying for work experience
As one of the largest employers in the area, Warrington & Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust acknowledges its social responsibility to engage with young people and students within the local community by offering work related learning opportunities.
We are committed to providing work experience placements for school and college students to assist them in developing an understanding of working life in a health care setting. If you are a student at a local school, college or university around Warrington or Halton and are thinking of a career in the NHS then work experience could be for you. Having the chance to experience a working environment prior to making a career choice will prove very valuable in helping you plan your long-term future.
- Our Work Experience Guide has supporting information which will help you through the process to ensure that the placement meets your needs.
Who can apply?
Anyone over the age of 15 can apply subject to the following conditions:
- School students aged 15-16 years who are undertaking a placement as part of their school’s work experience programme
- Clinical Placements in shadowing capacity are only available to applicants who are 17 years and over
- Applicants requiring work experience with in Midwifery must be a minimum age of 18.
We welcome applications from students with learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities. This opportunity can be a key to the world of work from which you might otherwise be excluded. The Work Experience Coordinator works closely with your college employment advisor to ensure that we find the right placement to match your requirements.
The Trust also recognises that work experience is not just for the young. The NHS has many occupations where maturity is an asset and we encourage applications from people looking towards a change in career.
Requirements for work experience applicants
- Agree dates, times, location and anticipated content of placement
- If appropriate, arrange for your school/College to email the Work Experience Coordinator to confirm work experience is part of an official school work experience placement
- Advise the placement of any specific needs you may have and, if you have agreed a medical placement, that you are planning to enter the medical profession
- Complete the forms below, and e-mail or post them to the Work Experience Coordinator.
Applying for work experience
Before applying for a work experience placement check the qualifying criteria, and then complete the on-line application form below. If you are unable to complete the form through a reason relating to a disability or any other reason, please contact the Work Experience Coordinator:
1stFloor, Education Centre
Telephone: 01928 75 3537
Documents and forms
You will be required to complete the following forms:
You are also required to obtain the following:
- A letter from you GP surgery which shows evidence of your immunisations, in particular 2X measles, mumps and rubella (MMR vaccines) OR
- Evidence of a blood test result showing immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.
Other usful links
The Health Careers website includes some really useful links on work experience