Consultant treatment outcomes
We are committed to making more information available about how our clinical professionals are performing.
Consultant treatment outcomes basically means making outcomes, complication and mortality data available in more specialties by consultant. The aim is to drive up the quality of care and to help people choose the treatment that suits them best.
We have been working with NHS England as part of their project to make more consultant treatment outcomes available to patients. This initiative is a central part of their ambition to ensure every patient gets high-quality care, and to build improved services for the future.
You can now find links to information about the trust's individual consultants and their performance in a number of clinical areas.
You can look at their results for a range of operations and treatments to help you make decisions about your care - or to ask us questions.
Finding and using the information
Consultant treatment outcomes are published by the Royal Colleges that represent each group of specialty surgeons. You can find links to the relevant reports and pages in the specialties that we provide that are currently being reported on in the list below.
Some of the data is complex and each page has explanatory notes. Please note that you may have to use the search functions in those reports to then find our hospitals or services - each Royal College has a slightly different way of presenting their information pages, and different search functions.
This data is useful but cannot always be taken at face value - for example, some surgeons focus on more complicated surgical cases which have a higher mortality or complication rate and some trusts only do certain types of procedures that may present a higher risk.
The data is being continually developed by the Royal Colleges and as a trust we actively encourage and support this approach to publishing information.
Links to published consultant treatment outcome reports available including our surgeons
- Vascular surgery (surgery on veins and arteries). Procedures covered: abdominal aortic aneurism, carotid endarterectomy
- Orthopaedic surgery (surgery for conditions affecting bones and muscles). Procedures covered: hip replacement, knee replacement
- Urological surgery (surgery on the kidneys, bladder and urinary tract). Procedures covered: nephrectomy
- Colorectal surgery (surgery on the bowel). Procedures covered: bowel tumour removal
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery (surgery on the stomach and intestine). Procedures covered: stomach cancer removal, oesophageal cancer removal.