About this service
Our first class orthopaedic services are provided at the state-of-the-art Cheshire and Merseyside Treatment Centre building at Halton General Hospital, Runcorn.
The Cheshire and Merseyside Treatment Centre is a purpose built orthopaedic hospital centre with 44 inpatient beds, four operating theatres, dedicated day ward, physiotherapy gym, outpatient and full CT, MRI, x-ray and ultrasound scanning facilities.
Our team of 14 orthopaedic consultants are based at the centre and provide a full range of orthopaedic surgery - including hip and knee replacements, sports medicine, upper limb (shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand) and lower limb (keyhole surgery for hip and knee, foot and ankle surgery) and spinal surgery.
The facility was brought into use by the trust in January 2013 as our home for orthopaedic surgery.
Why should you choose our orthopaedic surgery services?
- Our team have excellent outcomes and a specialist facility to match that provides the best in comfort and care
- We are rated at 5 Stars by our patients on the NHS Choices patient feedback website
- Where possible we aim to provide a one stop service where you can have your appointment with our consultant, investigations, x-rays and other tests in one visit
- If you do require surgery then the centre has the very latest theatre facilities that are purpose built for all types of bone and joint surgery
- Providing your surgery at the Cheshire and Merseyside Treatment Centre means that it has a very low risk of being cancelled as it is a specialist centre that is not affected by emergency pressures. We are also proud of our record of having no cases of MRSA at Halton General in over six years
- We are within easy travel time from across Cheshire and Merseyside. We also have a free shuttle bus to the centre from Warrington Hospital.
Orthopaedic outpatient services
Although the Cheshire and Merseyside Treatment Centre is our home for all routine orthopaedic surgery, we still provide outpatient appointments at Warrington Hospital as well as at the centre. This means you can have your initial appointment close to home in most cases before coming to the centre for surgery.
The centre is state-of-the-art and our facilities include:
Four ultra-clean air operating theatres on the top floor - purpose built for bone and joint surgery and treatments
A 44 bed main inpatient ward in a mix of en-suite single-rooms and four-bedded bays
A dedicated day ward for day case surgery
Full outpatient clinic and physiotherapy centre on the ground floor
MRI, CT, x-ray and ultrasound scanning
Cafe, spacious waiting area and other facilities with easy parking right outside the centre.
What are the waiting times?
We consistently meet the 18 week waiting target for orthopaedics - that means that the majority of our patients have their initial appointments, any scans and then their treatment or surgery with us within 18 weeks of first being referred to us by their GP.
Who's in the team?
Our team of 14 orthopaedic consultants are based at the centre and provide a full range of orthopaedic surgery.
They work alongside a specialist orthoapedic nursing team as well as physiotherapists, theatre staff and support teams to provide you with the best in orthopaedic care.
Other Information & Downloads
Treatments we provide include
Arthroscopy (keyhole surgery) of the knee
Carpal tunnel release
Foot and ankle surgery
Hand and wrist surgery
Hip arthroscopy (keyhole surgery)
Knee osteotomy (realignment surgery for knee pain)
Repair of hand tendon
Repair of knee ligaments (ACL surgery for example)
Repair of tendon in the knee and lower leg
Shoulder and elbow surgery
Surgery for Dupuytren's contracture
Spinal surgery (including disc replacement for back pain)
Treatment for trigger finger
Services at Warrington Hospital
Our trauma (emergency) orthopaedic surgery work, children's orthopaedic surgery and more complex cases are carried out at Warrington Hospital.
Your GP can refer you to our orthopaedic services via Choose and Book. We also accept referral from other health professionals.
We accept referrals from across the country for our specialist services as well as locally.
You can also contact us for advice on choosing our services by emailing us at email@example.com
Main Contact Information
Cheshire and Merseyside Treatment Centre